Every time I go to a thrift store I find another women’s dress that has cotton skirt in a print that I love (they are never styles or sizes I would actually wear myself)! I always buy them with the thought of attaching the skirt part to a knit bodice to make dresses for Lucy…These are starting to pile up in my fabric bins, so I thought it was time to actually make one! This was one of my favorites because I particularly like the floral print and I liked that the skirt was tiered, but not too long to be used for Lucy…I had visions of a twirly Maxi dress when I saw it!
For the top, I used the Bluezette Dress Pattern by Love Notions (sizes 2T-16), which worked very nicely and fits perfectly! I just chopped the skirt off of the thrift-store dress, along with it’s lining (both are very lighweight fabrics), then followed the instructions in the pattern to attach the skirt to the Bluezette Dress bodice, which I made using Cotton/Lycra from my stash…it was easy peasy and I didn’t even have to hem or sew any skirt side-seams 😉 Super quick!!!
The pattern called to line the bodice, but I didn’t have enough fabric, so I used a very thin neck and arm binding…probably would have looked nicer to line, but this worked for the amount of fabric I had.
Lucy LOVES this dress…she was twirling around all day in it 😉
The Bluezette Dress Pattern by Love Notions is really a pattern worth having! I can’t wait to make more of these!!!